EMPADRONAMIENTO IN BARCELONA
Before you get the NIE or any other document, we would advise that you first get your Empadronamiento!
What is the Empadronamiento?
This is your registration in the City Hall of your neighborhood, so that the local city hall knows you are living there. Every time you change your address, you will have to register a new empadronamiento in the town hall of your new neighborhood.
Why do you need this document?
For pretty much any other official document you want to obtain, you may be asked for your empadronamiento. For example : for the healthcare card (CAP), or in case you want to buy a car, or to get married. Keep in mind however that if your empadronamiento is older than 3 months, you´ll need to ask for an updated printout for free from the nearest office.
Where can you get your empadronamiento?
In the nearest City hall (Ajuntament), or the neighborhood administrative office (Oficina d’Atenció al Ciutadà ).
It is recommended to get an appointment (“Cita previa”) since it can save you some time. You can ask for the appointment by phoning Telefono de Attencion on telephone number 101, or by checking the website.
In case you live outside Barcelona you have to check where the City hall (Ajuntament) of your city or village is, or where the nearest administrative office (Oficina d’Atenció al Ciutadà) is located
What documents do I need to bring?
- Orignal of Passport or ID and a copy. In case you are registering more family members you will need the documents (original and copy) of all of them and a document proving that you are family.
- Proof (original and copy) of your home address, and that you are living there. This could be:
- Rental Contract (contrato de alquiler) of at least 6 months or with the option to extend the lease
- House deeds (escritura) – all these documents should be original
- In case you only rent a room, you will have to ask your landlord to come with you or to sign a document, stating that you live there and to give you a signed copy of his/her I.D.
- In case you do not have your name on the contract, you will have to ask the person who has their name on the contract to come with you and to bring their ID/NIE/Passport, their empadronamiento, and the rental contract.
- An application form, which you will get when you arrive, and will fill in while waiting.
If for some reason you have any issues with obtaining your empadronamiento, contact us for assistance.